We may earn a commission for everything you buy through links on this site.
Pricing and availability are accurate as of the original publication.
No one should be without a solid guacamole recipe. It’s a healthy, incredibly delicious spice that does almost everything it touches the taste better, and it’s an important part of any Cinco de Mayo spread.
Even if you celebrate the holidays in quarantine this year, there is no reason not to enjoy some classic Cinco de Mayo food! This guacamole is delicious with these crispy quesadillas, or just with some tortilla chips and vegetables. And for more cooking ideas, sign up for our newsletter to get daily recipes and food news in your inbox!
190 calories, 15 g fat (1.5 g saturated), 440 mg sodium
1/4 cup chopped coriander
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
Salt to taste
2 ripe avocados, cut and peeled
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons chopped jalapeño pepper
Juice of 1 lemon
2 o tortilla chips
Here’s how to do it
- Combine coriander and garlic on a cutting board, and use the back of a chef’s knife to work them into a fine paste; a barely coarse salt helps this process. (If you own a mortar and gun, there’s never been a better time to use it.)
- Transfer the pasta to a bowl and add the avocado.
- Use a fork to mash the avocado into a mostly smooth – yet slightly chunky puree.
- Stir in onion, jalapeño, lemon juice and salt.
- Served with tortilla chips or hot corn tortillas.
Eat this, don’t it! Tip
We mentioned one mortar and shock, so here’s what you need to know about this secret weapon kitchen utensil. Mortar and pestle is a critical tool to unlock the flavors behind many of the world’s most exciting culinary creations – from pesto from Italy to curry from Thailand and salsa and guacamole from Mexico. By tapping ingredients such as herbs, spices, garlic cloves and chili, you release their essential oils and add dishes with an intense flavor that is impossible to achieve with a knife or a food processor.
While ceramic mortars look great, look for a volcanic or granite base with a slightly rough exterior. It’s the wear you’re looking for to unlock the essential oils, and this tool does it best.
READ MORE: Top 20 Guacamole Recipes for the Crafted Avocado